Save Scallys campaign launched!
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to save Weston s popular biker pub Scallys from being knocked down as part of plans to develop the Dolphin Square area.
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to save Weston's popular biker pub Scallys from being knocked down as part of plans to develop the Dolphin Square area.
Save Scallys has been set up by regulars at the pub in protest to the plans by North Somerset Council.
The council wants to redevelop Carlton Street car park and Dolphin Square under massive regeneration plans for the town.
Last month a planning document was unveiled to guide developers as to how the work should progress. It identifies the site as Dolphin Square with its covered market and car park, The Sands nightclub, the Oxford Restaurant and takeaway, the Chicken Inn and Carlton Street car park including Scally's pub and the former National Association of Local Government Officers (NALGO) building.
You may also want to watch:
The documents says the retention of Scallys 'is not considered essential' and that it 'sits oddly with its current surrounding'.
But the Save Scallys campaign has been gathering support.
- 1 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 2 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 3 Weston's Marine Lake to remain closed due to safety concerns
- 4 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 5 Weston is a 'really great place to invest'
- 6 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 7 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 8 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 9 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 10 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
Pub regular Andrew, who has been going to Scallys for more than 12 years, is behind the on-line side of the campaign.
He said: "I'm one of the biker fraternity and Scallys is an important place for us. People across the country come to the pub and know Weston because of it. We want it kept safe."
Work the development is unlikely to start before the end of next year, the Kilmartin Group, the commercial developer which bought all CNC Properties' leasehold buildings in Dolphin Square in September.
*TO visit the campaign on-line visit www.savescallys.blogspot.com