Check your bonfire this weekend for hiding critters
- Credit: Secret World Wildlife Rescue
A Somerset animal rescue charity is encouraging people to look before lighting the bonfire this year.
Secret World Wildlife Rescue, based in East Huntspill, is urging people to think about any wildlife which could be lurking in the heaps of wood and debris.
Bonfires will be lit around the district over the weekend but hedgehogs, dormice and other critters could be sheltering from the cold in the stacked wood, hay and leaves.
Head of external relations, Samantha Hannay, said: “We are asking members of the public to take two minutes before lighting a bonfire to make sure no animals have tucked themselves in for the night.
“We are fantastic at keeping our loved ones safe, but we must never forget about the little wild animals which are vulnerable at this time of year.
You may also want to watch:
“Those 120 seconds could save many animals.”
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 4 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Banwell bypass route chosen