Legal action begins against travellers in Burnham
PUBLISHED: 14:26 25 April 2018 | UPDATED: 14:26 25 April 2018
Legal proceedings have begun against a group of travellers who failed to leave Burnham-on-Sea this morning (Wednesday).
Two caravans and two cars arrived on a grassed area on Monday evening in Marine Drive, near the entrance to Apex Park, which is owned by Sedgemoor District Council.
The travellers had been given until this morning to vacate the area, which they failed to do.
A spokesman for the council said: “There is a small group of travellers on the grassed area in Marine Drive outside Apex Park, which is on council-owned land.
“Our legal team served notice on the travellers, they had 24 hours to move on and they failed to do this.
“An application has been made to the county court for a possession order.”
The district council’s legal staff went to North Somerset Courthouse to begin legal proceedings this morning.
Wells MP James Heappey said: “There is no excuse for illegal encampments and I trust this one will be moved on as quickly as possible.
“Sedgemoor’s speed of response shows that Burnham and the surrounding area will be much more difficult for travellers to illegally encamp this summer.
“People need to see travellers are not above the law and our authorities are exercising the powers they have to minimise disruption.”