WIN: Tickets to see Weston Operatic Society’s Hot Mikado at The Playhouse
- Credit: Weston Operatic Society
A local drama group is again set to wow Weston audiences with the acting skills of their talented company.
The Weston Operatic Society (WOS), following the sellout success of Cats, returns to the Playhouse Theatre with a sassy, jazzy swing show.
Hot Mikado is the tale of East meeting West head-on in a hilarious 1940s-style update of the perennial Gilbert and Sullivan classic.
The lights rise on the neon town of Titipu, where the gentlemen of Japan are swinging, scatting and living their lives in song.
They are interrupted by the entrance of Nanki-Poo, a fresh-faced crooner in search of Yum-Yum, the beautiful ward of a tailor named Ko-Ko.
You may also want to watch:
Nanki-Poo, having met Yum-Yum a year ago while playing second trumpet in the Titipu big band, has come to confess his love for her.
It was love at first sight but nevertheless doomed, as she was engaged to her older guardian, Ko-Ko.
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 3 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 4 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 5 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 6 Inadequate care home responds
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 Modern, versatile living in a historic manor house
- 9 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 10 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic
But after Ko-Ko was condemned to death by the almighty Mikado for flirting, Nanki-Poo has rushed to Titipu to marry his love.
WOS picked up five regional awards for last year’s production of Cats.
The performance received accolades for Best Creative Lighting, Best Chorus and Best Show.
Ashley Brown also scooped the Best Cameo Award, while Adam Ludwell won the award for Best Choreography.
Hot Mikado will be at The Playhouse, in High Street, from April 24-27 at 7.30pm.
There will be an additional 2.30pm performance on April 27.
Tickets, priced £17.50, are available from www.theplayhouse.co.uk or from 01934 645544.
The Mercury has teamed up with the Weston Operatic Society to offer two pairs of tickets to see the musical.
This competition will close at 10am on April 18.
Usual Archant rules apply, and the editor’s decision is final.
By entering this competition, you are agreeing to be contacted by Archant and the theatre.