Couple who met during a job interview celebrate 70 years of marriage
- Credit: Archant
A couple celebrating their 70th anniversary say the secret to their happy marriage is ‘kindness’.
Honor and Don Fowler, from Shipham, met at Passey & Porter's garage in Winscombe where she was working.
Don turned up for a job interview and they hit it off straight away when she made him a cup of tea while he was waiting.
On their first afternoon off together they went to a tea dance in Weston, which marked the start of their long and happy relationship.
They got married at St John's Church in Axbridge on June 25, 1949, and Don's father, who was the vicar, conducted the service.
You may also want to watch:
They have two children, two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Honor, aged 89, said: "The secret to our long and happy marriage has been chiefly kindness to each other.
- 1 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 5 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 6 Council backs call to improve poor health in seaside towns
- 7 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 8 Former mayor and mayoress of Weston celebrate diamond wedding
- 9 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
- 10 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
"Also to have been able to discuss any serious issues that cropped up from time to time and to have been able to reach agreement or to respect the other's point of view."