Couple who met during a job interview celebrate 70 years of marriage
- Credit: Archant
A couple celebrating their 70th anniversary say the secret to their happy marriage is ‘kindness’.
Honor and Don Fowler, from Shipham, met at Passey & Porter's garage in Winscombe where she was working.
Don turned up for a job interview and they hit it off straight away when she made him a cup of tea while he was waiting.
On their first afternoon off together they went to a tea dance in Weston, which marked the start of their long and happy relationship.
They got married at St John's Church in Axbridge on June 25, 1949, and Don's father, who was the vicar, conducted the service.
You may also want to watch:
They have two children, two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Honor, aged 89, said: "The secret to our long and happy marriage has been chiefly kindness to each other.
- 1 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 2 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 3 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 4 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 GALLERY: Photographers capture springtime snapshots in Weston-super-Mare
- 9 Winscombe gardening business gets Alan Titchmarsh's blessing
- 10 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
"Also to have been able to discuss any serious issues that cropped up from time to time and to have been able to reach agreement or to respect the other's point of view."