Sleeping woman rescued from burning home

PUBLISHED: 21:44 27 October 2011 | UPDATED: 22:22 27 October 2011

Archant

A WOMAN was rescued from her burning home tonight by firefighters after she fell asleep with a tealight lit.

The flame burned through its holder and set her bedroom, in a ground floor flat on Shelley Road, Weston, on fire.

Neighbours called the fire service at 7.55pm when they heard smoke alarms ringing and saw smoke coming from the property.

Two fire engines from Weston and one from Winscombe attended the fire.

The woman, who is in her 20s, was taken to hospital after inhaling smoke but is not thought to be seriously hurt.

An Avon Fire spokesman said: “This shows the importance of having a smoke alarm and checking it regularly. If her alarm had not sounded, she may have been more seriously hurt or even have died.

“We also stress how vital it is to always place a tealight on top of a holder as the metal holders they come with can burn through easily, as happened in this case.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists