Sonar boat searches for body of boy lost at sea
PUBLISHED: 12:45 22 August 2012
A SONAR rescue boat will scour the sea in Burnham today (Wed) to search for the body of four-year-old Dylan Cecil who went missing on Sunday.
The specialist underwater rescue boat, SARboot UK Underwater Rescue, searched the waters from 6.30-10pm last night (Tue) but was unsuccessful.
It will now continue its search today using high-tech sonar equipment.
The boat is equipped with two side scan sonars which are built to find bodies under the water, and its equipment is also able to recover objects from the sea bed.
A large-scale search and recovery operation was launched for the youngster after he went missing from the town’s jetty on Sunday evening.
Dylan was playing with his parents and younger sisters when he slipped off the jetty and was dragged under the water by the strong currents.
It was feared he had been swept away by the spring tides, which the Coastguard said can reach up to four knots.
His parents Rachel McCollum and Darren Cecil immediately attempted to rescue Dylan but were pulled out by passers-by and emergency services.
Despite teams from BARB, the RNLI and the coastguard tirelessly searching the waters throughout Sunday night, the search was postponed on Monday morning and eventually called off the same evening.
HM Coastguard sector manager Tris Newey said: “The tides which run across the jetty are quite strong and the water is very turbulent. With these kind of conditions on the jetty is if impossible to see the edge.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.