Thousands attend furniture store’s grand opening
- Credit: Archant
Gale force winds did not halt furniture business Sopha’s grand opening.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony saw the shop, in Highbridge's Church Street, opened by the town's mayor and people enjoyed listening to live music and browsing through a craft fair on the day.
Weston's X-Factor star Kezia Povey performed for audiences as well as the Lisa Jane School of Dance in Highbridge.
A spokesman for Sopha said: "The event went fantastically well.
"We were meant to have a marquee in the car park, but those plans were altered by Storm Hannah and its heavy winds.
"The shop saw a brilliant amount of people attend, which is amazing.
"Some of the organisers were here from 5am and we decided to hold the stalls inside due to the weather.
- 1 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 2 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 3 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 4 PICTURES: Winter Gardens Christmas fayre
- 5 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 6 John Crockford-Hawley column: A Bridge Too Far?
- 7 PICTURES: Activists march to end violence against women
- 8 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
- 9 Charity farm commits to supporting people in need
- 10 Home gets illuminated with Christmas lights for charity
"We would like to give thanks to the generous support of the community for attending, despite the blustery conditions."
The opening ceremony was held on April 27.