Devastated family say ‘unacceptable lack of care’ by hospital staff to blame for mother’s death
- Credit: Archant
The devastated family of a Weston woman who died in agony following complications after a routine test at Weston General Hospital, have blamed a ‘totally unacceptable lack of care’ for her death.
Susan Longden had been diagnosed with irritable bowl syndrome in 2014 and had a growth removed from her rectum a year later.
The family have said they have a series of concerns over the care provided by staff at the hospital following a routine colonoscopy on the morning of January 31 this year.
On returning to her Beach Road home the 69-year-old’s condition deteriorated rapidly.
In a statement read to Avon and Somerset Coroner’s Court on Monday, husband, David Longden said: “She was complaining of terrible pain in her stomach and she was screaming out in agony.
“She was on her hands and knees on the bedroom floor as her legs could not support her after she got out of bed.
“She said it hurt when she breathed.”
- 1 Lovely views from large bungalow in sought-after village
- 2 ITV This Morning to broadcast live from Weston
- 3 Two Weston men charged with murder after man dies in Wiveliscombe
- 4 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 7 Haywood Village set for historic first-ever Jubilee celebration
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Busy route to Bristol to close for roadworks next week
- 10 Police hunt suspected arsonist after rampage in Weston
Mr Longden then phoned the endoscopy department for advice. He was told by the nurse to give his wife a hot drink and to make her walk around, but was discouraged from calling 999 as there was a two to three-hour wait in A&E.
Mrs Longden, a retired guest house owner, went to bed at 8pm still in considerable pain. At 8.40pm she was screaming her husbands name. Mr Longden rushed into the room to find his wife writhing in agony and screaming ‘call 111.’
Mr Longden immediately rang the number but was told by staff that her would have to wait two hours for a doctor to arrive. He asked for an ambulance instead but was told it would take two and a half hours.
Susan decided to have a bath, afterwards she lost consciousness on the bathroom floor and stopped breathing.
Mr Longden called 111, and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
Susan was rushed to Bristol Royal Infirmary, where she died on the morning of February 1 of a prolonged cardiac arrest and internal bleeding caused by the colonoscopy.
Mr Longden said: “The family and I are absolutely devastated over the loss of Susan.
“No words can describe the level of shock, distress and upset we feel.”
The inquest continues.