Dolphin Square businesses told to take precautions after ‘smell of gas’ closes cinema
- Credit: Archant
A Weston-super-Mare business has had to close after concerns were raised about a today (Wednesday).
Cineworld, in Dolphin Square, has cancelled this evening’s screenings following reports of the leak.
Wales & West Utilities, who deal with gas in the area, where called to Dolphin Square this morning following reports of a ‘smell of gas’.
Operational manager Dan Lawrence said: “We were alerted to reports of a smell of gas at a commercial property in the Dolphin Square area of Weston this morning and immediately sent an engineer to the scene.
“On arrival, our engineer conducted all the necessary gas safety checks.
You may also want to watch:
“While we found no evidence of a gas leak, as a precaution we turned the gas supply to the building off and advised the building owner to contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check their internal pipework.”
The cinema’s neighbouring businesses, including Nandos and Anytime Fitness, are still open.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 4 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 5 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 6 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
One witness said they had plans to go to cinema this evening but had an email informing them their screening had been cancelled due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’.
They added: “I called them because I was annoyed and they said it was because of a suspected gas leak in the area so it was closed.”
Mr Lawrence added: “If anyone ever smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night.”