Dolphin Square businesses told to take precautions after ‘smell of gas’ closes cinema
- Credit: Archant
A Weston-super-Mare business has had to close after concerns were raised about a today (Wednesday).
Cineworld, in Dolphin Square, has cancelled this evening’s screenings following reports of the leak.
Wales & West Utilities, who deal with gas in the area, where called to Dolphin Square this morning following reports of a ‘smell of gas’.
Operational manager Dan Lawrence said: “We were alerted to reports of a smell of gas at a commercial property in the Dolphin Square area of Weston this morning and immediately sent an engineer to the scene.
“On arrival, our engineer conducted all the necessary gas safety checks.
“While we found no evidence of a gas leak, as a precaution we turned the gas supply to the building off and advised the building owner to contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check their internal pipework.”
The cinema’s neighbouring businesses, including Nandos and Anytime Fitness, are still open.
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 4 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 5 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 6 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 7 New boss Hutt 'couldn't say yes fast enough' to Winscombe post
- 8 Hornets celebrate historical promotion to National 2 West
- 9 Rat-infested house used for drug dealing boarded up
- 10 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
One witness said they had plans to go to cinema this evening but had an email informing them their screening had been cancelled due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’.
They added: “I called them because I was annoyed and they said it was because of a suspected gas leak in the area so it was closed.”
Mr Lawrence added: “If anyone ever smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night.”