Swan rescued after ‘breaking quarantine’ on M5
- Credit: Archant
An unlikely suspect was found ‘breaking quarantine’ and ‘swanning around’ on the M5 yesterday.
In a scene straight out of the film Hot Fuzz, fire crews from Weston were called to rescue a swan which had become stuck in the central reservation of the motorway.
On arrival the crew, and a member of Secret World Wildlife Rescue found the swan had freed itself and had since become tangled in brambles at the side of the carriageway.
The team then freed the swan with the use of a ladder and it was taken to the East-Huntspill based rescue centre for treatment.
A Secret World Wildlife Rescue spokesman said: “The juvenile swan has a few cuts and bruises on its feet but is otherwise fine.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to thank the Highways England staff, Avon and Somerset Police and Weston Fire Brigade for their valuable help in rescuing the swan.”
“Swans often mistake asphalt for water and land on it thinking that the motorway is a river.”
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Village enjoys returning horticultural show
- 9 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse