Swan rescued after ‘breaking quarantine’ on M5
- Credit: Archant
An unlikely suspect was found ‘breaking quarantine’ and ‘swanning around’ on the M5 yesterday.
In a scene straight out of the film Hot Fuzz, fire crews from Weston were called to rescue a swan which had become stuck in the central reservation of the motorway.
On arrival the crew, and a member of Secret World Wildlife Rescue found the swan had freed itself and had since become tangled in brambles at the side of the carriageway.
The team then freed the swan with the use of a ladder and it was taken to the East-Huntspill based rescue centre for treatment.
A Secret World Wildlife Rescue spokesman said: “The juvenile swan has a few cuts and bruises on its feet but is otherwise fine.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to thank the Highways England staff, Avon and Somerset Police and Weston Fire Brigade for their valuable help in rescuing the swan.”
“Swans often mistake asphalt for water and land on it thinking that the motorway is a river.”
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences