Teen died in crash two days after passing test

PUBLISHED: 07:00 23 June 2015

Avon Coroner's Court.

Avon Coroner's Court.


A TEENAGER who only had his licence re-issued two days before the collision which killed him was travelling more than 40mph above the speed limit when he crashed, an inquest has heard.

Zack Tame, of Silver Street, Cheddar, lost control of his Ford Focus and crashed into a wall in Pilcorn Street in Wedmore shortly after 5am on December 14.

He was taken to Southmead Hospital but died from his head injuries two days later.

Friends staged a memorial in the wake of his death, and organiser Aaron Holford described Mr Tame as ‘a true Cheddar lad, an inspiration to many with his love and respect for people of all ages and interests’.

The 18-year-old apprentice mechanic originally passed his driving test in October 2013 but in August 2014 was disqualified from driving for a year after being convicted of driving without due care and attention.

On December 11, 2014, Mr Tame passed his driving test for a second time and his new licence was issued on December 12, two days before the fatal collision.

On Tuesday, West Somerset Coroners Court was told how Pilcorn Street resident William Danning heard the crash at about 5.15am.

Coroner Tony Williams said: “He (Mr Danning) heard a loud bang from outside. He went outside to look and saw a dark Ford immersed into the wall.”

Police Constable Stephen Fair, who led the investigation, told the hearing about traffic calming measures in place along the stretch of road, which goes from 30mph down to 20mph and includes three ‘pinch points’.

His statement says: “The calming section starts 320 metres from the point of impact. In addition to the speed limit (reduction) the section comprises of three pinch points.

“When the Focus started to leave the first tire mark its speed was between 62mph and 76mph. That was after the second traffic calming measure.”

PC Fair also noted how Mr Tame was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the incident and his mobile phone had not been used.

He added: “Inexperience may have been a factor, having only passed his test two days prior to the incident.

“Had he complied with the speed limit, the collision would not have occurred.”

Mr Williams concluded: “Zack died on December 16 at Southmead Hospital from cerebral injuries. The cause of death was a road traffic collision.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists