Pub landlords retire and pub temporarily closes
- Credit: Trevor Prideaux
A pub has been temporarily closed following the departure of its landlords.
Frank Sparks and Debbie Noon will be retiring from the New Inn, in Wedmore, after holding the tenancy for 10 years.
Locals gathered in the pub last week to present the publicans with a book on small villages of Italy and 450 euros.
The couple plan to tour Italy over the summer before taking well-earned breaks to Sri Lanka and the USA.
The pub, which has been an ale and cider house since the late-1790s, is home to five skittles teams and two darts teams.
You may also want to watch:
It is used regularly by the tennis, cricket and football clubs and has a large rugby following, starring in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide since 2010.
It also houses the Turnip Prize and the Spoof Competition each year.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 3 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 4 GP surgery plans labelled 'unacceptable' by councillors
- 5 Manchester United legends and All Stars put on nine-goal thriller at Cheddar
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 8 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 9 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 10 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
It was closed for 12 days and is set to re-open under new management.