Toddler (3) and man (31) choke to death
PUBLISHED: 05:01 27 July 2006 | UPDATED: 09:39 24 May 2010
A THREE-year-old girl and a disabled man have choked to death in Weston in separate incidents. A summer holiday turned to tragedy for Worcestershire parents who were taking their toddler to the seaside for the first time
A THREE-year-old girl and a disabled man have choked to death in Weston in separate incidents.A summer holiday turned to tragedy for Worcestershire parents who were taking their toddler to the seaside for the first time.The girl choked while eating sausage and chips on the grass in front of Aller Parade on the Oldmixon estate at about 1pm on Saturday (July 15).Shopkeepers, passers-by and a police officer helped remove food from the girl's throat when they heard her mother screaming.A shop worker said: "What happened was terrible. It was awful to watch. "We were trying to do something and took it in turns to shake her, but she just went limp and her lips turned blue."Her mother was screaming and everyone felt helpless because we couldn't do anything."The Weston Mercury understands the police officer drove the ambulance to Weston General Hospital while two medics tried to revive the girl.Coroner's officer Alan Melhuish said: "The ambulance crew worked on the girl in the ambulance and the police officer drove to the hospital."The poor little girl came down with mum and dad and was lost to something so simple as choking on food."* A 31-year-old man with learning difficulties died after choking in McDonald's. The unnamed man from Bristol was eating with his carers at the restaurant at Weston Links, off Herluin Way, on Saturday (July 15). He was taken to Weston General Hospital where his parents allowed his life support machine to be turned off on Wednesday.