Life of well-loved former town crier to be celebrated in Somerset village
- Credit: Nicole Dommett
A funeral will be held to celebrate the life of a woman whose nearest and dearest have said her passing is the ‘end of an era’.
Yvonne Chamberlain, known as Vonny, held position of Axbridge Town Crier for more than 35 years and gained a MBE for her charity work.
She died at the age of 86 and has been praised as a well-loved member of the community.
Vonny's niece Nicole Dommett said: "She was such a character, her job took her all around the world, from Australia to Belgium.
"We have had an outpouring of comments from people who thought highly of her, it has been overwhelming.
You may also want to watch:
"She was a very kind, traditional lady, she lived in the town her whole life and it is the end of an era for Axbridge."
Vonny's funeral will be held at the Church of St John The Baptist Church, in Church Lane, on June 5 at 12.30pm.
- 1 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 2 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 3 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 4 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 5 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 6 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 7 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 8 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 9 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 10 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare