Life of well-loved former town crier to be celebrated in Somerset village
- Credit: Nicole Dommett
A funeral will be held to celebrate the life of a woman whose nearest and dearest have said her passing is the ‘end of an era’.
Yvonne Chamberlain, known as Vonny, held position of Axbridge Town Crier for more than 35 years and gained a MBE for her charity work.
She died at the age of 86 and has been praised as a well-loved member of the community.
Vonny's niece Nicole Dommett said: "She was such a character, her job took her all around the world, from Australia to Belgium.
"We have had an outpouring of comments from people who thought highly of her, it has been overwhelming.
You may also want to watch:
"She was a very kind, traditional lady, she lived in the town her whole life and it is the end of an era for Axbridge."
Vonny's funeral will be held at the Church of St John The Baptist Church, in Church Lane, on June 5 at 12.30pm.
- 1 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 2 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 3 Modern, versatile living in a historic manor house
- 4 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 5 Weston project promotes healthy eating for youngsters
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Backwell boy raises more than £1k for Dementia UK
- 8 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 9 Husband and wife launch Cheddar Pizza House in lockdown
- 10 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event