Town team makes fresh bid for Portas Pilot cash
PUBLISHED: 13:00 19 June 2012
A COMMUNITY team intent on securing £100,000 to help improve its town centre will meet on Monday to finalise its bid.
The Burnham Town Team applied for a share of a £1.2million Portas Pilot scheme, which is spearheaded by Mary Portas and aims to improve town centres, earlier this year but was declined last month.
The team’s application for £99,000 was submitted with a video of more than 200 supporters, indicating the money would be used to modernise Burnham and help it become a flourishing shopping centre.
And after the Government received a high number of bids for the pot of cash – 370 in total - it announced there would be a second round of investment money available.
The team is now currently finishing the re-submission of its bid to the Department for Communities and Local Government to become one of the second group of Portas Pilots winners.
Alex Turco, member of the Burnham Town Team, said: “The Burnham bid is being refined to focus on town centre marketing, events and training after learning the lessons of the first round of Portas Pilot winners.”
The team’s meeting will take place on Monday at 6pm, in the Burnham and Highbridge town council offices, in Jaycroft Road, Burnham and will focus on how the funds should be spent.
Burnham and Highbridge town council has also asked the town team to assist it with making recommendations to Sedgemoor District Council for how £300,000 - received as a result of the Tesco expansion - should be spent on town centre improvements.
Mr Turco said: “We would urge residents and businesses to attend Monday’s meeting to have their say on the future of the town centre.”
To get involved in the Burnham town team find it on Facebook or find @Bostownteam on Twitter.