M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- Credit: Google Street View
UPDATE: it has been confirmed a man died after falling from a bridge on the M5 last night.
The motorway has now re-opened.
The M5 is closed after a crash - causing long tailbacks.
The incident happened on the northbound carriageway at around 9am this morning (January 19), between junctions 22 (Burnham) and 21 (Weston).
Traffic is queueing as investigations into the 'serious police incident' continue.
"Avon and Somerset Police are managing the incident and advise the road will be closed for a protracted period of time while they conduct a full investigation," said a Highways England spokesperson.
"There is currently approximately five miles of congestion approaching the closure which is causing delays in excess of an hour."
- 1 Lovely views from large bungalow in sought-after village
- 2 ITV This Morning to broadcast live from Weston
- 3 Two Weston men charged with murder after man dies in Wiveliscombe
- 4 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Haywood Village set for historic first-ever Jubilee celebration
- 7 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 8 Busy route to Bristol to close for roadworks next week
- 9 Thatchers donate apple trees in Worle for community orchard project
- 10 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
They said a diversion is in place around the closure, with the route marked out with a solid triangle symbol on local road signs:
- Exit the M5 at J22 and at the roundabout take the third exit on to the A38
- Follow the A38 northbound to the next roundabout and take the first exit on to the A370
- Remain on the A370 in to Weston-Super-Mare
- At the junction with the A3033 just after Weston-Super-Mare Cricket Club turn right
- Follow the A3033 Devonshire Road northbound to the roundabout with the A370
- Take the third exit on to the A370 eastbound
- Remain on the A370 out of Weston-Super-Mare to J21 of the M5
- Take the first exit from the junction roundabout to re-join the M5 northbound
"If this closure impacts on your planned route then please allow extra journey time," they added.
"Plan ahead, you may wish to re-route or even delay your journey."