Travellers pitch up at Weston playing fields
- Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.
A group of travellers have settled on land a popular leisure centre.
Around nine caravans and a small number of vehicles have been spotted at Hutton Moor and the group has been ordered to move on by 6pm today (Friday).
They have arrived in the area after being evicted from land at Beach Lawns yesterday (Thursday).
A council officer will visit the pitches on Monday to check if they have complied with the authority's request.
Its spokesman for said: "There are nine caravans and associated vehicles at Hutton Moor playing pitches.
You may also want to watch:
"An officer visited them this morning to carry out health and welfare checks.
"We have issued a notice to the travellers to leave the land by 6pm today and we will visit the site again on Monday.
- 1 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 2 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 5 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 9 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 10 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
"If the group has not complied with the notice and they are still there by then, we will make an application to the court for a possession order."