Travellers pitch up at Weston playing fields
- Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.
A group of travellers have settled on land a popular leisure centre.
Around nine caravans and a small number of vehicles have been spotted at Hutton Moor and the group has been ordered to move on by 6pm today (Friday).
They have arrived in the area after being evicted from land at Beach Lawns yesterday (Thursday).
A council officer will visit the pitches on Monday to check if they have complied with the authority's request.
Its spokesman for said: "There are nine caravans and associated vehicles at Hutton Moor playing pitches.
You may also want to watch:
"An officer visited them this morning to carry out health and welfare checks.
"We have issued a notice to the travellers to leave the land by 6pm today and we will visit the site again on Monday.
- 1 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 2 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 3 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 4 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 5 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 6 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 7 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 8 John Penrose column: Goodbye to Sir David Amess
- 9 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 10 Rotary club plants thousands of flowers for charity
"If the group has not complied with the notice and they are still there by then, we will make an application to the court for a possession order."