Anger over traveller pitch invasion
- Credit: Sam Frost
Travellers have occupied a popular football field – and they do not look set to be moved on until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Witnesses have said up to 25 vans have pitched up at Locking playing fields, which have left people feeling angry and fed up.
A member of the public said: “There’s absolutely loads of them in there.
“After what happened at Weston’s Baytree Recreation Ground last year (used by Milton Nomads JFC) – I’m just getting a bit fed up of it.”
Locking Parish Council clerk Colm O’Doherty said: “There isn’t much which can get done over the weekend, but there is an awful lot of anger about this.
You may also want to watch:
“They have moved to the back of the field and police are concerned about the van’s proximity to a school in the village.
“We are also worried about the impact this may have on the pitch, used by Locking Park FC.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
- 10 Tuk-tuks to provide tourist information service in Weston
“We just have to deal with it the best we can.”