Anger over traveller pitch invasion
- Credit: Sam Frost
Travellers have occupied a popular football field – and they do not look set to be moved on until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Witnesses have said up to 25 vans have pitched up at Locking playing fields, which have left people feeling angry and fed up.
A member of the public said: “There’s absolutely loads of them in there.
“After what happened at Weston’s Baytree Recreation Ground last year (used by Milton Nomads JFC) – I’m just getting a bit fed up of it.”
Locking Parish Council clerk Colm O’Doherty said: “There isn’t much which can get done over the weekend, but there is an awful lot of anger about this.
“They have moved to the back of the field and police are concerned about the van’s proximity to a school in the village.
“We are also worried about the impact this may have on the pitch, used by Locking Park FC.
- 1 Weston drug dealer jailed for 42 months
- 2 Dog found in hedge now looking for forever home
- 3 Man involved in 17-hour stand-off with police in Weston named locally
- 4 Suspected drug trafficker from Weston named in most wanted campaign
- 5 Plan for 2,800-home development would see 'Banwell Bypass' built
- 6 Luke Stillwell charged over Turnock Gardens incident
- 7 Weston town centre car park closed for 'essential maintenance'
- 8 Sovereign Centre's fridge of free stuff officially opened
- 9 One quarter of new homes in Haywood Village bought by Bristolians
- 10 Sainsbury's propose 9,000 sq.ft North Somerset store
“We just have to deal with it the best we can.”