Anger over traveller pitch invasion
- Credit: Sam Frost
Travellers have occupied a popular football field – and they do not look set to be moved on until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Witnesses have said up to 25 vans have pitched up at Locking playing fields, which have left people feeling angry and fed up.
A member of the public said: “There’s absolutely loads of them in there.
“After what happened at Weston’s Baytree Recreation Ground last year (used by Milton Nomads JFC) – I’m just getting a bit fed up of it.”
Locking Parish Council clerk Colm O’Doherty said: “There isn’t much which can get done over the weekend, but there is an awful lot of anger about this.
“They have moved to the back of the field and police are concerned about the van’s proximity to a school in the village.
“We are also worried about the impact this may have on the pitch, used by Locking Park FC.
- 1 WATCH: Moment unlikely heroine saves the day at Weston Air Show
- 2 French court claims Jill Dando may have been 'murdered by mistake'
- 3 PICTURES: Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2022
- 4 Weston to celebrate Pride with style this weekend
- 5 Census 2022: North Somerset's population grows by 7pc since 2011
- 6 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 7 Deadline looms for charity funding bids
- 8 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
- 9 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
- 10 Funding and inflation behind concerns over Portishead rail project
“We just have to deal with it the best we can.”