Anger over traveller pitch invasion
- Credit: Sam Frost
Travellers have occupied a popular football field – and they do not look set to be moved on until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Witnesses have said up to 25 vans have pitched up at Locking playing fields, which have left people feeling angry and fed up.
A member of the public said: “There’s absolutely loads of them in there.
“After what happened at Weston’s Baytree Recreation Ground last year (used by Milton Nomads JFC) – I’m just getting a bit fed up of it.”
Locking Parish Council clerk Colm O’Doherty said: “There isn’t much which can get done over the weekend, but there is an awful lot of anger about this.
You may also want to watch:
“They have moved to the back of the field and police are concerned about the van’s proximity to a school in the village.
“We are also worried about the impact this may have on the pitch, used by Locking Park FC.
- 1 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 2 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 3 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 4 Appeal to identify man after sexual assault
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 Record numbers attend Wedmore Real Ale Festival
- 7 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 8 Historic detached house near Weston town centre
- 9 Two shops opening for first time next week
- 10 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
“We just have to deal with it the best we can.”