Anger over traveller pitch invasion
- Credit: Sam Frost
Travellers have occupied a popular football field – and they do not look set to be moved on until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Witnesses have said up to 25 vans have pitched up at Locking playing fields, which have left people feeling angry and fed up.
A member of the public said: “There’s absolutely loads of them in there.
“After what happened at Weston’s Baytree Recreation Ground last year (used by Milton Nomads JFC) – I’m just getting a bit fed up of it.”
Locking Parish Council clerk Colm O’Doherty said: “There isn’t much which can get done over the weekend, but there is an awful lot of anger about this.
You may also want to watch:
“They have moved to the back of the field and police are concerned about the van’s proximity to a school in the village.
“We are also worried about the impact this may have on the pitch, used by Locking Park FC.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 3 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 4 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 5 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab
- 6 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 7 Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated family man’ who died in mountain fall
- 8 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 9 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 10 Uphill Castle run riot in Somerset League Cup
“We just have to deal with it the best we can.”