Tributes to former councillor
MUCH loved and respected former Portishead councillor Dr Leighton Greenham has died. Mr Greenham, who was a member of Portishead and North Weston Town Council from May 1991-1999, died in Oxford on Bank Holiday Monday following a short illness. Dr Greenham
MUCH loved and respected former Portishead councillor Dr Leighton Greenham has died.
Mr Greenham, who was a member of Portishead and North Weston Town Council from May 1991-1999, died in Oxford on Bank Holiday Monday following a short illness.
Dr Greenham, a former vet who taught veterinary science at Bristol University, was first elected to Woodspring District Council in May 1995 representing the Portishead north and south ward as a Liberal Democrat.
In 1996, on the formation of North Somerset Council, he became the first chairman of the education committee.
You may also want to watch:
He was elected again to North Somerset Council in 1999 and served as shadow chairman of the education committee in 2000/2001.
North Somerset Council chief executive Graham Turner said: "Many people will have fond memories of Leighton and our thoughts are with his widow Valerie, their son Simon and daughter Hilary at this sad time."
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
Leighton's funeral will be for family only and is taking place in Wales. A memorial service will take place in Portishead at a date yet to be arranged.