Turnock Gardens siege: What happened?

Turnock Gardens siege

A man was taken into custody after a 17-hour standoff with police during which a firework was thrown from a property in Turnock Gardens. - Credit: Charlie Williams

Avon and Somerset Police was locked in a tense 17-hour standoff with a resident living at Turnock Gardens, in West Wick, which began on January 25.

Armed police and trained negotiators were called to the property shortly after officers arrived around 11am as part of an ongoing investigation.

A man, believed to have barricaded himself inside, later uploaded multiple videos to Facebook showing the altercation with the officers.

Here is a timeline of the incidents - the man will not be named.

11am - Avon and Somerset Police are called to a property in Turnock Gardens to speak with a man as part of an ongoing investigation.

Police later confirmed that "a pyrotechnic device was subsequently thrown out of a window prompting the officers to withdraw and call for additional resources,"

Nearby homes were evacuated as a safety precaution.

Most Read

12pm - A six-minute live stream is uploaded to Facebook showing a man inside the property.

1pm - Second video made with the same man, now wearing body armour and war medals, at the address arguing with police about his garden gate.

1pm - Third video shows him yelling at police, claiming they broke into his property 'without a warrant'.

1pm - Facebook post made referencing 'going out with my grandad's World War Two medals on my chest' and a 'home invasion' by police.

3pm - Final post made which alludes to 'fighting to the death' and labels the police as corrupt, before a Nazi reference is used to sign off the post.

3.30pm -Avon and Somerset Police releases the following statement: 

"Due to concerns raised by the officers in attendance, we’ve now deployed a number of resources to the scene, including trained negotiators and partners from the fire and rescue and ambulance services.

"Although we don’t believe there is a risk to the wider public, the road is currently closed and a small number of residents living nearby have been evacuated as a precaution."

10pm - Avon and Somerset Police confirms that officers and negotiators remain at the scene.

4am (January 26) - Standoff ends with a 39-year-old man voluntarily leaving the property and being taken into police custody.

Chief Insp Scott Hill said: “Throughout the night, highly-trained negotiators have been working as part of our multi-agency response to bring this incident to a safe conclusion.