Motorway near Weston re-opens following three separate collisions
PUBLISHED: 12:40 19 November 2017 | UPDATED: 14:23 19 November 2017
The M5 north bound between Burnham-on-sea and Weston-Super-Mare has re-opened after three separate collisions this afternoon (Sunday, November 19) had previously closed it.
Motorists had faced long delays on the M5 at Weston-Super-Mare after three separate collisions.
The motorway was closed north bound between Burnham-on-sea and Weston due to three separate collisions.
Highways England, posting on social media, said that their officers, police, the fire service and paramedics were on the scene.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue confirmed they were tasked to a road traffic incident involving multiple cars at around noon today.
Two crews from Burnham and one from Bridgwater attended.
A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival the initial crews located a three car road traffic collision where no one was trapped.
“One crew attended to the incident and made the vehicles safe. The remaining crews carried on to a further road traffic collision approximately half a mile further along the road.
“After locating one collision where no one was trapped crews from Burnham on Sea proceeded along the road and located a second collision where a child was found to still be within the vehicle.
“Crews got to work assisting paramedics in extricating the casualty and then made the vehicles and surrounding area safe.
“While in attendance at the second collision crews were made aware of a third incident further along the road and asked for another appliance to be mobilised to the third road traffic collision.”
Highways England has confirmed that all three lanes are now re-open.
Update - Highways England say all lanes are now open however severe delays remain. Motorists are advised to allow additional travel time.