UFO sighted over village
RESIDENTS in one village experienced a close encounter of the third kind when they spotted a UFO hovering near their homes.
The silver-white flying object was spotted by at least three people on the Mendip Hills behind Banwell.
The sighting is just one of thousands potential alien sightings included in information released by the National Archives alongside thousands of other files containing reporting sightings up and down the UK.
The unidentified object was spotted at about 3.20pm on June 6, 1987 over the hills behind the village.
The silver-white object was travelling in an easterly direction over the hills, before appearing to land.
You may also want to watch:
The object then disappeared behind the trees on the hill.
Also included in 6,700 pages released by the National Archives are reports about sightings, briefings on UFOs to former Prime Minister Tony Blair and even an account of a visit by the ‘men in black’.
- 1 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 2 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 3 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 4 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
- 5 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 6 Weston's Marine Lake to remain closed due to safety concerns
- 7 Council backs call to improve poor health in seaside towns
- 8 Cinemas reopen after easing of lockdown restrictions
- 9 Live at the Quarry is 'great success'
- 10 Weston's youngest graffiti artist helps football club with mural
Many of the witness statements given in the documents, which have been compiled in 25 files, are given by credible witnesses such as police officers, air traffic control staff and military pilots.
The files can be viewed at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos