Vandals strike again weeks after £5,000 repair

PUBLISHED: 09:00 13 June 2014

Grove Park

Grove Park

Archant

VANDALS have again targeted Grove Park’s pay-to-use toilets in the second attack since they were opened just two months ago.

Officials have hit out at the ‘sad reflection on society’ and say 
they are now ‘looking at options’ to increase the security around the facility, which is part of a £160,000 refurbishment across five sites.

In April, three cash machines embedded into the toilet blocks were ripped out by would-be thieves only 10 days after opening, and cost more than £5,000 to repair.

In this incident, damage was caused to the door of the disabled toilet on Thursday, preventing it from closing. It remained out of service for the duration of Friday.

Town clerk Malcolm Nicholson told the Mercury: “The council is doing its best to provide a service which would otherwise have disappeared completely.

“We are looking at more things we can do, including CCTV, but local government doesn’t always work as quickly as you would like. These attacks are just a sad reflection on society.”

Cllr Mark Canniford, who runs the Spar store near to Grove Park, said that any security upgrades would be ‘too little too late’, and that vandal attacks had been inevitable.

Cllr Canniford said: “It is very sad, but they were told and it is another cost to the council. Anyone with any ounce of common sense knew it would happen again. It’s inevitable unless you run a really good service, which we cannot afford to.

“Unfortunately we live in a society where there are people who can only get their agitation out by smashing things up. People don’t behave properly any more. It is sad to see, but it was prophesied and they all just had their heads in the clouds.”

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists