Villagers warned to shut windows due to toxic smoke from barn fire

Firefighters tackling blaze at a barn in Axbridge.

Firefighters tackling blaze at a barn in Axbridge. - Credit: Archant

PEOPLE living in Weare and Axbridge are being warned to shut their windows due to large plumes of smoke from a barn fire.

Firefighters were called to a blaze at Alston Sutton Farm in Axbridge at 9.35am this morning (Tues) and are still on the scene tackling the fire

The barn has an asbestos-cladded roof and contains 60 tons of hay and straw, so police are advising people living nearby to close all their windows.

Fire engines from Burnham, Cheddar, Winscombe and Weston along with special appliances from Street and Bridgwater are currently on the scene.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter