Warning after chip pan fire

PUBLISHED: 10:15 13 January 2012

The fire was started when the chip pan was left unattended

The fire was started when the chip pan was left unattended

Archant

A RENEWED warning over cooking with hot oils has been issued after firefighters put out a blaze caused by a chip pan.

Avon Fire and Rescue were called to a home in Alfred Street, Weston at around 10.52pm last night.

The home’s occupant, a woman in her 20s, had been preparing chips in the pan when she became distracted.

The pan of oil then caught fire, leading her to leave the building and call the fire service.

Two fire engines from Weston attended and easily put out the small fire, using a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “50 per cent of all the fires we attend are caused by fires in the kitchen and the vast majority of those are caused by people using hot oils.

“We would urge residents to make sure they keep a close eye on it, as they can quite easily get out of control. We would also like to ensure that everyone has a working smoke alarm.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists