Boxing: Weston Warriors edged out in National finals
- Credit: Archant
Weston Warriors ABC had two boxers in action at the England Boxing National Youth Championships in Bambury.
Liam Orme came through the local group stages to become area champion and make finals weekend, where he won his quarter and semi-final bouts in style.
Orme beat an England squad youngster to reach the 64-69kg cadet final and face a rival with 36 wins in 44 bouts, in only his 17th outing.
But despite a brave effort he lost narrowly on points.
Heavyweight Brook Chamberlain had a bye in the over-91kg semi-final and met a top England youngster with 18 wins in 20 fights.
You may also want to watch:
And despite giving his all, Chamberlain came off second best to an opponent who had too much for him.
Nonetheless, Warriors head coach Dean Lewis praised his two fighters, saying: “I am very proud of the boy’s performances and we will be back next year for the belts.”
- 1 Tributes flood in for 'one in a million' Terry
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 4 Weston's Party in the Park 'biggest yet'
- 5 Four-bedroom 1930s detached house in Milton
- 6 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 7 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 8 Weston Rotary Club celebrate 100 years
- 9 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 10 Live music returns to village this weekend