Boxing: Weston Warriors edged out in National finals
- Credit: Archant
Weston Warriors ABC had two boxers in action at the England Boxing National Youth Championships in Bambury.
Liam Orme came through the local group stages to become area champion and make finals weekend, where he won his quarter and semi-final bouts in style.
Orme beat an England squad youngster to reach the 64-69kg cadet final and face a rival with 36 wins in 44 bouts, in only his 17th outing.
But despite a brave effort he lost narrowly on points.
Heavyweight Brook Chamberlain had a bye in the over-91kg semi-final and met a top England youngster with 18 wins in 20 fights.
And despite giving his all, Chamberlain came off second best to an opponent who had too much for him.
Nonetheless, Warriors head coach Dean Lewis praised his two fighters, saying: “I am very proud of the boy’s performances and we will be back next year for the belts.”
- 1 7 rescue pets looking for forever homes this Christmas in Somerset
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on and festivities announced for Weston
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Somerset?
- 4 Strong winds expected across Somerset this weekend
- 5 Charity ball raises thousands for Cancer Research
- 6 Man sentenced to at least 24 years for trying to kill his parents
- 7 Castle Batch monument uncovered
- 8 Weston pub attracts crowds for Christmas light switch on
- 9 Tributes paid to 'bright, beautiful, gentle soul' who died after being found injured
- 10 Weston RAF Association to host Cooking with Heroes book launch