Boxing: Weston Warriors edged out in National finals
- Credit: Archant
Weston Warriors ABC had two boxers in action at the England Boxing National Youth Championships in Bambury.
Liam Orme came through the local group stages to become area champion and make finals weekend, where he won his quarter and semi-final bouts in style.
Orme beat an England squad youngster to reach the 64-69kg cadet final and face a rival with 36 wins in 44 bouts, in only his 17th outing.
But despite a brave effort he lost narrowly on points.
Heavyweight Brook Chamberlain had a bye in the over-91kg semi-final and met a top England youngster with 18 wins in 20 fights.
You may also want to watch:
And despite giving his all, Chamberlain came off second best to an opponent who had too much for him.
Nonetheless, Warriors head coach Dean Lewis praised his two fighters, saying: “I am very proud of the boy’s performances and we will be back next year for the belts.”
- 1 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 4 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 5 Will garden village be revived?
- 6 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 7 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 8 Worle man becomes South West's record blood plasma donor
- 9 Dreaming of reaching the Olympic Games with Isabel Blackhurst
- 10 Flag stolen during period of national mourning