Weston Lions welcome first women members
- Credit: Weston Lions
Weston Lions has ended its 50-year men’s club history by welcoming its first women members.
Kate Bach and Tracey Garrett joined the group, which celebrates finishing its 53-year history as a men's-only club.
As many as 10 new members have joined the group this year, which is due to host a Children's Hospice South West fundraiser and sponsored walk this spring.
Five next-generation members have joined, as well as four more people, including two women, who are in the process of gaining their full membership to the club.
Managing director Kate Bach said: "Weston Lions do so much for the community, I think it's more than people realise, and we are trying to encourage younger people to get involved and make a difference.
You may also want to watch:
"Being a Lion is so fulfilling, and people work alongside a great team of mentors and can have fun at the same time."
- 1 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Popular Weston restaurant welcomes customers back
- 4 Grand Pier to host recruitment open days
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Local artists bring wow-factor to Weston shop windows
- 7 Inadequate care home responds
- 8 Reopening: Thousands booked as hairdressers reopen
- 9 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 10 Mum pays tribute to 'most caring and loving son'