Weston Lions welcome first women members
- Credit: Weston Lions
Weston Lions has ended its 50-year men’s club history by welcoming its first women members.
Kate Bach and Tracey Garrett joined the group, which celebrates finishing its 53-year history as a men's-only club.
As many as 10 new members have joined the group this year, which is due to host a Children's Hospice South West fundraiser and sponsored walk this spring.
Five next-generation members have joined, as well as four more people, including two women, who are in the process of gaining their full membership to the club.
Managing director Kate Bach said: "Weston Lions do so much for the community, I think it's more than people realise, and we are trying to encourage younger people to get involved and make a difference.
You may also want to watch:
"Being a Lion is so fulfilling, and people work alongside a great team of mentors and can have fun at the same time."
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 5 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 6 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 7 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
- 8 Hospitality Day 2021: Weston micropub thriving once again following reopening
- 9 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 10 Appeal to identify man after sexual assault