Weston takes the knee in peaceful Black Lives Matter demonstration
- Credit: Archant
People took the knee in a peaceful demonstration in Weston town centre on Sunday as part of the Black Lives Matter movement.
Taking the knee is one of the symbols of solidarity against racism.
Members of the Black Lives Matter Weston group took the knee in the Italian Gardens and group members ensured the event was a socially distanced, peaceful demonstration.
The group was formed in June following a peaceful Black Lives Matter demonstration on the seafront.
Group members wore face masks and maintained a safe distance at all times.
You may also want to watch:
The group began kneeling at 6.15pm for eight minutes and 46 seconds in memory of George Floyd, who was killed in the United States in May after a police officer knelt on his neck for that amount of time.
To join the movement, search Black Lives Matter Weston-super-Mare on Facebook.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 New principal appointed at academy
- 4 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 5 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 6 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 7 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 8 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 9 New officer verification process introduced by police
- 10 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year