Coastguard warns of dangers of visiting Birnbeck Island
- Credit: Archant
Weston Coastguard is warning people about the dangers of straying onto Birnbeck Island.
A team of rescue officers escorted a man off the island in Weston-super-Mare yesterday (Wednesday) after a member of the public spotted someone they believed to be in difficulty.
The man did not need assistance, but the coastguard team provided some safety advice on the dangers of the island and escorted him off.
A spokesman for Weston Coastguard said: “Birnbeck Island is an extremely dangerous area of our coastline with fast tides, and overhead dangers from the derelict pier.
“We would urge people not to risk crossing onto the island.”
You may also want to watch:
For coastal emergencies call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 3 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 9 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 10 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic