Coastguard warns of dangers of visiting Birnbeck Island
- Credit: Archant
Weston Coastguard is warning people about the dangers of straying onto Birnbeck Island.
A team of rescue officers escorted a man off the island in Weston-super-Mare yesterday (Wednesday) after a member of the public spotted someone they believed to be in difficulty.
The man did not need assistance, but the coastguard team provided some safety advice on the dangers of the island and escorted him off.
A spokesman for Weston Coastguard said: “Birnbeck Island is an extremely dangerous area of our coastline with fast tides, and overhead dangers from the derelict pier.
“We would urge people not to risk crossing onto the island.”
You may also want to watch:
For coastal emergencies call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.
- 1 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Tributes flood in for 'one in a million' Terry
- 4 Four-bedroom 1930s detached house in Milton
- 5 Weston's Party in the Park 'biggest yet'
- 6 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 7 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 8 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 9 WIN: Tickets to Horrible Histories show at Weston theatre
- 10 Live music returns to village this weekend