Teacher joins Weston RNLI boat crew
- Credit: Weston RNLI
An RNLI volunteer has completed his first step towards becoming a qualified boat crew member.
Matt Lyons has completed a number of tasks including familiarising himself with Weston Bay, the D class lifeboat Adrian Beaumont and its operation procedures.
Matt joined the crew two years ago as shore crew and, although he had no previous nautical experience, has attended more than 100 calls.
The subject area manager at Weston College said he watched a launch one day from his classroom window and decided to get involved.
Matt has an 11-week-old boy called Oliver with his partner Jodie and said: “She has always been really supportive of me being in the RNLI.
You may also want to watch:
“Many times we have had to drop everything and get to the station.
“She is slightly more nervous with me starting my boat crew journey, but as always, is fully supportive.”
- 1 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 2 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 3 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 4 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 5 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 8 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 9 Family pays tribute to founder of Jolly Dollies support network
- 10 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
Matt will soon start a development plan to become a fully-trained crew member.