Teacher joins Weston RNLI boat crew
- Credit: Weston RNLI
An RNLI volunteer has completed his first step towards becoming a qualified boat crew member.
Matt Lyons has completed a number of tasks including familiarising himself with Weston Bay, the D class lifeboat Adrian Beaumont and its operation procedures.
Matt joined the crew two years ago as shore crew and, although he had no previous nautical experience, has attended more than 100 calls.
The subject area manager at Weston College said he watched a launch one day from his classroom window and decided to get involved.
Matt has an 11-week-old boy called Oliver with his partner Jodie and said: “She has always been really supportive of me being in the RNLI.
You may also want to watch:
“Many times we have had to drop everything and get to the station.
“She is slightly more nervous with me starting my boat crew journey, but as always, is fully supportive.”
- 1 Canadian coffee and doughnut specialist has diner plans approved
- 2 Weston gymnast, 15, makes GB history
- 3 High Court grants new inquest into death of baby boy
- 4 Weston MP and mayor attend anniversary ball
- 5 PICTURES: Princess Anne visits Weston-super-Mare
- 6 NHS calls for North Somerset residents to get Covid booster
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Pretty character cottage in rural village
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Mayor quizzed by Weston's youngest reporters
Matt will soon start a development plan to become a fully-trained crew member.