Teacher joins Weston RNLI boat crew
- Credit: Weston RNLI
An RNLI volunteer has completed his first step towards becoming a qualified boat crew member.
Matt Lyons has completed a number of tasks including familiarising himself with Weston Bay, the D class lifeboat Adrian Beaumont and its operation procedures.
Matt joined the crew two years ago as shore crew and, although he had no previous nautical experience, has attended more than 100 calls.
The subject area manager at Weston College said he watched a launch one day from his classroom window and decided to get involved.
Matt has an 11-week-old boy called Oliver with his partner Jodie and said: “She has always been really supportive of me being in the RNLI.
You may also want to watch:
“Many times we have had to drop everything and get to the station.
“She is slightly more nervous with me starting my boat crew journey, but as always, is fully supportive.”
- 1 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 4 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 5 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 6 Dreaming of reaching the Olympic Games with Isabel Blackhurst
- 7 Will garden village be revived?
- 8 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 9 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 10 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
Matt will soon start a development plan to become a fully-trained crew member.