More than 100 tests carred out on first day at Weston’s mobile coronavirus testing site
- Credit: PA
More than a hundred people have been tested for Coronavirus at Weston’s mobile testing centre.
Figures from the Department of Health state that on Tuesday 127 people were booked in for tests at the temporary Locking Road site.
The unit can carry out 300 tests a day and is open from 10am until 4pm for pre-booked appointments.
North Somerset Council has urged anyone who suspects they have any symptoms of the virus to get tested.
These include a new continuous cough, a high temperature and a loss of, or change in, normal sense of taste or smell.
Tests can be booked online here at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus or by calling 119.
More: Testing ramped up at Weston hospital to reduce virus spread in communityMatt Lenny, North Somerset Council’s director of public health said: “If anyone is concerned that they have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, I would urge them to book themselves in for a test.
“It’s simple to book and having the testing centre based in the town centre will save people a journey to the airport.
“Anyone over the age of five who is experiencing symptoms is eligible for the test.
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 4 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 5 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 8 New boss Hutt 'couldn't say yes fast enough' to Winscombe post
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Rat-infested house used for drug dealing boarded up
“It involves taking a swab of the inside of the nose and the back of the throat, using a long cotton bud.”
People with symptoms are also advised to self-isolate at home.
No one in the household should leave home if any one person has symptoms.
More guidance on what this involves is available here. Tests at the mobile testing unit are subject to availability and if all appointments in Weston are booked, the alternative testing site at Bristol Airport will be offered.