Couple celebrating golden anniversary with friends who married on same date
- Credit: Mike Benstead
A Weston couple are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary by going on holiday with two couples they met on their honeymoon.
Mike Benstead and Rita Webber married at St Michael’s Church in Brent Knoll on September 4 in 1971.
After a reception at the Webbington Country Club, in Axbridge, they enjoyed a honeymoon at the Royal Hotel in Ostend, Belgium.
During their stay, they met two other newly-married couples - from Bristol and Penrith - who had also tied the knot on September 4.
They became close friends and have meet up regularly over the years. Each couple has two children, who have also become friends.
On their 40th wedding anniversary, the couples all returned to Ostend to celebrate the special occasion. This year, to mark their joint golden wedding anniversary, they are meeting up in London for three days.
Mike said: “We have met up often and shared our journey through married life together.
- 1 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask
- 4 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 5 Fire crews tackle chimney blaze
- 6 First Bus announces major changes to bus services
- 7 Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway: A history
- 8 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 9 'I had to learn to walk again': Weston man talks of strokes - at 31
- 10 Tributes paid to 'caring, loving and funny' 17-year-old who died in collision
“It is unusual in this this day and age that three couples have remained married and stayed friends for all these years.”