CCG has ‘no intentions’ to sell Weston General Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has reassured patients it has no plans to sell Weston General Hospital.
Fears the hospital could be downgraded further after A&E's overnight closure was made permanent on Tuesday were raised by campaigners at the governing body's meeting.
However, CCG members decided to press ahead despite opposition from North Somerset Council's health overview and scrutiny panel (HOSP) recommendation on Monday for the Healthy Weston proposals to be delayed.
The Healthy Weston programme includes proposals such as the A&E department being staffed by a multi-disciplinary team of hospital and primary care clinicians and running the Seashore Centre for children seven days a week.
The changes should improve the hospital's compliance with national clinical quality standards.
You may also want to watch:
The CCG's chief executive Julia Ross said: "I share all the concerns people have but there is no intention or way in which we are planning to sell off Weston General Hospital.
"Although we are looking to make some changes we have no ambition to sell the hospital.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 5 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 8 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
"The merger with University Hospitals Bristol will make a big impact."
Ms Ross also said with Brexit, a delay could be lengthy and cause problems with recruitment and creating a closer relationship between Bristol and Weston hospitals.