Nationwide chain to close its Weston High Street unit
- Credit: Archant
A High Street store has announced its closure in Weston town centre.
The Body Shop has confirmed it will close its Sovereign Shopping Centre unit.
Cllr Mark Canniford, North Somerset Council's executive member for business, economy and employment, said: "We are disappointed the Body Shop has chosen not to renew its lease.
"We believe this decision is similar to its other recent store closures elsewhere in the country.
"High streets are changing with a different demand from the public.
You may also want to watch:
"What's exciting is the increase of independent traders in the town centre, with the recent opening of Weston Meat Shack, restaurants such as the Fork and Ale, Stable Café and the Ginger Pig Kitchen, along with the Weston Collective, a group of Weston independent businesses, holding regular events in the Sovereign Centre.
"I'm confident that Weston town centre can thrive, despite challenging times, and offer something special to residents and visitors."
- 1 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 5 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 6 Council backs call to improve poor health in seaside towns
- 7 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 8 Former mayor and mayoress of Weston celebrate diamond wedding
- 9 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
- 10 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
The council has begun to introduce a different approach to tackle the shifting retail market, using the Sovereign Centre as a place to encourage independent business, galleries, community activities, pop-up-shops and events.
A meanwhile use programme, which will bring empty units around the town centre back into use, is being developed as well as a new town vision, in response to the changing face of the high street.
For more reaction, pick up a copy of next week's Mercury.