Nationwide chain to close its Weston High Street unit
- Credit: Archant
A High Street store has announced its closure in Weston town centre.
The Body Shop has confirmed it will close its Sovereign Shopping Centre unit.
Cllr Mark Canniford, North Somerset Council's executive member for business, economy and employment, said: "We are disappointed the Body Shop has chosen not to renew its lease.
"We believe this decision is similar to its other recent store closures elsewhere in the country.
"High streets are changing with a different demand from the public.
"What's exciting is the increase of independent traders in the town centre, with the recent opening of Weston Meat Shack, restaurants such as the Fork and Ale, Stable Café and the Ginger Pig Kitchen, along with the Weston Collective, a group of Weston independent businesses, holding regular events in the Sovereign Centre.
"I'm confident that Weston town centre can thrive, despite challenging times, and offer something special to residents and visitors."
- 1 Burglars target 24 properties in North Somerset area
- 2 Police oppose 2am licence for new bar in Weston over links to criminals
- 3 PICTURES: More details of Weston's See Monster revealed
- 4 Court rules that Baytree School expansion can go ahead
- 5 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask
- 6 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 7 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Fire crews tackle chimney blaze
- 10 Ultimate obstacle course coming to Weston
The council has begun to introduce a different approach to tackle the shifting retail market, using the Sovereign Centre as a place to encourage independent business, galleries, community activities, pop-up-shops and events.
A meanwhile use programme, which will bring empty units around the town centre back into use, is being developed as well as a new town vision, in response to the changing face of the high street.
For more reaction, pick up a copy of next week's Mercury.