New fundraiser for men launched by Weston Hospicecare
- Credit: Archant
Weston Hospicecare is launching a new sponsored walk for men to raise money for the charity.
The Men’s March will give groups of friends, dads, sons, granddads and sports teams the chance to come together for the walk before watching England’s penultimate Six Nations fixture against Italy on March 9.
Participants will start the 10-mile walk at the Grand Pier before walking to Sand Point via Weston Woods and the Sand Bay coast path.
Walkers will then return to the pier to enjoy a pasty and a pint – or soft drink for younger walkers – to refuel before watching England take on Italy on the big screen.
Event organiser Kelsey Dehaney said: “We are so excited to be bringing this new event to the hospice event calendar.
“With the hospice’s Midnight Beach Walk being a ladies only event, we are delighted to be able to offer something for men to get involved with.
“The event will coincide with England’s Six Nations fixture against Italy which will kick off at 4.45pm on the day.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 5 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 6 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 7 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 8 Weston street comes together to switch-on Christmas lights
- 9 Consultation to rename the Sovereign Centre begins tomorrow
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
“We hope this will provide a fun and challenging event for those wanting to take part to come and socialise while presenting a good opportunity to challenge themselves while also supporting the hospice.”
Weston Hospicecare has a packed programme of events lined up next year to celebrate its 30th anniversary.
The Men’s March will start at noon, giving plenty of time for walkers to complete the route before the rugby begins.
Those eager to take part can sign up online before March 3 next year.
Spaces are £15 per adult and £10 per child. There will be limited spaces available at an early bird price of £12 per adult and £8 per child.
This price will cover the cost of the event and all participants are encouraged to raise sponsorship.
It costs £4.2million to run the hospice and the charity only receives 20 per cent of its funding from the NHS – meaning it must raise in excess of £3.3million through fundraising events, its shops, and donations from members of the community.
Sign up for the event online at www.westonhospicecare.org.uk