Weston Hospicecare thanks sponsors and fundraisers ahead of Mendip Challenge
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people will head to the hills this weekend to take part in the Mendip Challenge in aid of Weston Hospicecare.
More than 800 walkers have already signed up to the event, which is sponsored by Howards Motor Group.
A number of businesses and community groups are also supporting the challenge including Lidl, which has donated snacks and water for the participants, and Westhaven School which has allowed the hospice to use its grounds for the after party.
The Uphill-based charity has paid tribute to the ‘fantastic’ support it has received from the community.
Event organiser Kelsey Dehaney believes it will be a great event.
She said: “The Mendip Challenge is our biggest event of the year and it would be very difficult for us to make it worthwhile for the hospice without the fantastic support from the community.
“This year, Lidl have made a donation of water and snacks which has allowed us to put the funds we had assigned for refreshments onto the final amount raised.
- 1 WATCH: Moment unlikely heroine saves the day at Weston Air Show
- 2 Thugs targeted elderly couple's motorhome as they slept during Weston Air Show
- 3 French court claims Jill Dando may have been 'murdered by mistake'
- 4 Weston to celebrate Pride with style this weekend
- 5 PICTURES: Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2022
- 6 Census 2022: North Somerset's population grows by 7pc since 2011
- 7 Land near railway station could be sold for housing
- 8 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 9 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
- 10 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
“Westhaven School has allowed us to use of its playing field once again and we have more than 80 volunteers who are giving up their time to assist us on the day.
“Our main sponsor, Howards, has been fantastic to us in sponsoring the event this year and we cannot thank them enough for their support.”
A well as sponsoring the event, a team of 11 staff from Howards Motor Group are taking part in the challenge.
Chairman Peter Coleman said: “Howards Motor Group is delighted to be sponsoring the Weston Hospicecare Mendip Challenge 2018.
“As a business, we thrive on getting involved with our local community as well as raising money for this hard-working charity on which so many people depend.
“It is an exciting sponsored event for those looking to have fun, challenge themselves and raise money for Weston Hospicecare.
“We wish every success to all the participants who are taking part and in particular to the many Howards colleagues, friends and family who will be participating.”
Last year 750 took part in the walk raising £56,000 for the hospice.
Participants can take part in the 10, 20 or 30-mile route on Sunday.