Weston MP loses Government position
- Credit: Eleanor Young
Weston’s MP has lost his ministerial role in Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s new Government.
John Penrose was dumped as Minister of State to Northern Ireland, a position he had held since November.
Mr Penrose was a big advocate of Jeremy Hunt in the Tory leadership contest.
Mr Johnson was named the new Conservative Party leader ahead of Mr Hunt on July 23 after he received almost two-thirds of party member's votes.
The 55-year-old has been Weston's MP for the past 14 years and has previously served as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and more recently as a Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury.
Mr Penrose has retained his title of anti-corruption champion.
You may also want to watch:
North Somerset MP Dr Liam Fox also lost his cabinet role after he was axed from his Secretary of State for International Trade position.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston