Weston MP loses Government position
- Credit: Eleanor Young
Weston’s MP has lost his ministerial role in Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s new Government.
John Penrose was dumped as Minister of State to Northern Ireland, a position he had held since November.
Mr Penrose was a big advocate of Jeremy Hunt in the Tory leadership contest.
Mr Johnson was named the new Conservative Party leader ahead of Mr Hunt on July 23 after he received almost two-thirds of party member's votes.
The 55-year-old has been Weston's MP for the past 14 years and has previously served as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and more recently as a Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury.
Mr Penrose has retained his title of anti-corruption champion.
You may also want to watch:
North Somerset MP Dr Liam Fox also lost his cabinet role after he was axed from his Secretary of State for International Trade position.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 3 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 4 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 5 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab
- 6 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 7 Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated family man’ who died in mountain fall
- 8 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 9 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 10 Uphill Castle run riot in Somerset League Cup