Homes evacuated as armed police and negotiators brought for Weston siege
- Credit: Charlie Williams
A number of Weston homes have been evacuated, armed police and trained negotiators brought in by police to help with an ongoing incident in West Wick - as one person appears to be live streaming the events on Facebook.
Avon Fire and Rescue has also been called to assist while warning people to avoid the Turnock Gardens, West Wick, area.
A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police told the Mercury that officers attended a home around 11am this morning before requesting backup.
They said: "Police attended an address in Turnock Gardens, West Wick, at about 11am today, Tuesday 25 January, to speak to an individual as part of an ongoing investigation.
"Due to concerns raised by the officers in attendance, we’ve now deployed a number of resources to the scene, including trained negotiators and partners from the fire and rescue and ambulance services.
"Although we don’t believe there is a risk to the wider public, the road is currently closed and a small number of residents living nearby have been evacuated as a precaution."
Meanwhile, a man - who we have chosen not to identify - appeared to be streaming the events on Facebook Live earlier in the day.
He said officers had 'invaded' his home 'yet again' and streamed a conversation with police, through an upstairs window, during which advised them on how to close his garden gate.
At least one Facebook post made by this person has been signed off with a Nazi reference.
- 1 Lovely views from large bungalow in sought-after village
- 2 ITV This Morning to broadcast live from Weston
- 3 Two Weston men charged with murder after man dies in Wiveliscombe
- 4 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 7 Haywood Village set for historic first-ever Jubilee celebration
- 8 Busy route to Bristol to close for roadworks next week
- 9 Thatchers donate apple trees in Worle for community orchard project
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
The Mercury will continue to update the story when possible.