Husband and wife walk 630 miles for hospice
- Credit: Archant
Two Weston runners put their fitness and stamina to the test by walking the South West Coast Path in aid of Weston Hospicecare.
Rachel and Pete Stacey are members of Weston Athletic Club and regularly help out with races to raise funds for Weston Hospicecare.
As most races have been scaled down or cancelled due to the pandemic, the couple decided to walk the entire South West Coast Path from Minehead to Poole in one go.
The pair covered 630 miles in 54 days, giving themselves just four days off.
Rachel said: “We camped for 45 days and only had four individual days off – two due to storms. We carried everything to survive in our rucksacks, approx 17kgs each.
You may also want to watch:
“We thought we would ask our friends to make donations to encourage us along the way and that we would raise about £200. In fact, the pot now stands at £1,510.
“We would like to thank everyone for their support.”
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 New principal appointed at academy
- 5 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 8 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 9 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 10 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'