Weston’s MP joins board of group calling for NHS to be replaced by insurance system
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s MP has joined a student think-tank group calling for the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system.
John Penrose said he was ‘delighted’ to join the advisory board of 1828.
Mr Penrose said: “I have written a couple of pieces for 1828 and I was asked to join their advisory board in April, but I am yet to attend a meeting.
“Like any good independent think-tank they publish a range of political ideas.
“I don’t necessarily agree with all of them particularly if they contradict the NHS manifesto pledges on which I was elected just six months ago.”
You may also want to watch:
One article written by 1828’s co-founders argued Britain should be ‘bold and progressive’ and scrap the NHS in favour of a system where people pay for insurance either through private firms or a government scheme.
The group has also published articles calling for the abolition of Public Health England, which has a key role in the coronavirus Test and Trace system headed by Mr Penrose’s wife, Dido Harding, who was named chief executive of the NHS project by Health Secretary Matt Hancock last month.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 4 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 5 Manchester United legends and All Stars put on nine-goal thriller at Cheddar
- 6 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 7 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 8 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 9 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 10 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake