Fundraiser gig arranged for Weston's Sea Shanty and Folk Music festival
- Credit: The Steepholmers
A sea shanty band from Weston will stage a one-off gig to help raise funds to revive the Weston Sea Shanty and Folk Music festival for 2022.
The Steepholmers, along with at least six other bands, will perform a variety of sea shanty tunes - a style which originates from sailors aboard merchant ships.
The genre grew in popularity during lockdowns on social media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram.
Weston's inaugrial Sea Shanty and Folk fest attracted thousands of spectators across 17 venues in the town, last year.
The Italian Gardens played host to the main stage, drawing a crowd of more than 500, while a stage was also set up outside the Tropicana.
Proceedings from the festival will be handed to both Weston RNLI and the Weston Lions Club.
The Steepholmers will be joined by The Beach’d Buoys, The Harry Browns, Severn Whalers, The Swing Rioters, Piratitude and Morris Minor on March 19.
- 1 See Monster viewing platform to open next week
- 2 Pictures show police deal with man on rooftops in Weston
- 3 More than 20 people fined for discarding fags and off-lead dogs
- 4 Consultation on resident parking zones launched to reduce traffic in Weston
- 5 Police appeal after hit-and-run in Weston
- 6 Man jailed for savage attack on three women at Weston pub
- 7 Person dies after incident at Weston's Marine Lake
- 8 Petition launched to halt planned bus cuts in North Somerset
- 9 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 10 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
The event will run from 5pm to 11pm, at St Paul’s Church, Walliscote Road.
Tickets for the concert are £6 per seat and are available here: https://buytickets.at/thesteepholmersshantyband/642929