Weston charity raises money for Empowering Girls in Nepal charity
- Credit: Susannah Crook
A weston charity has raised a substantial amount of money in aid of the Empowering Girls in Nepal charity.
Weston Soroptimists held a 'Big Curry' fundraiser over the National Women's Day weekend at the Corpus Christi Church Hall, on Ellenborough Park Street.
Weston takeaway. Pappadoms provided food for close to 60 guests, who gathered on behalf of the overseas charity.
Empowering Girls in Nepal helps women and girls recovering from abuse cause through human trafficking and physical or sexual assault.
In total, the Weston Soroptimist division raised £540.
You may also want to watch:
President, Melanie David was at the event and spoke at length about the work Weston Soroptimists carry out.
Melanie said: 'The reason we chose this charity is because it is the chosen charity for Soroptimist International of Great Britain and Ireland's latest 3 year project.' She added: 'This was voted on at the last Soroptimist conference where the founder, Philip Homes spoke about why he founded it and what it does. He was evidently so committed and passionate about it that his project was chosen.'
- 1 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 2 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 5 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 8 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 9 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 10 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
'We're very grateful for Sayd Ahmed's generosity in donating the curry for 60 people. It has increased the sum we can send to the charity.'