Weston-super-Mare drug raids see 34 arrested
- Credit: Archant
A major police operation has seen dozens of suspected drug dealers arrested, thousands of pounds in cash and a large quantity of class A drugs seized across Weston-super-Mare and North Somerset this morning (Tuesday).
Officers from Avon and Somerset Constabulary executed warrants at 18 properties and arrested 24 people at locations around the town centre, the Bournville estate, Yatton and Taunton.
A further 10 people were arrested later this afternoon, bringing the total number of people arrested to 34.
All of those arrested had their homes searched by specialist officers and drugs dogs, while the force’s Chief Constable, Andy Marsh, also accompanied officers on the warrants.
Commander for Somerset and North Somerset, Chief Superintendent Ian Wylie, said: “The positive action taken today follows a complex investigation which has enabled us to build up a picture about drugs supply and possession in Weston.
You may also want to watch:
“Drugs have a hugely negative impact on communities, with antisocial behaviour, criminal damage and other crimes all generated by people trying to fund their drug use.
“I sincerely hope today’s arrests, as well as our commitment to investing significant resources in lengthy investigations, provides reassurance to residents that we will not tolerate drug dealing and that we are committed to ensuring people feel free to live in their communities without the fear of crime.”
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 7 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 10 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset
The officers’ efforts were also praised by North Somerset chief inspector Tina Robinson.
* For the full story, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Mercury.