Weston M&S staff celebrate 735 years of ‘incredible’ service
- Credit: Archant
Staff of Weston-super-Mare’s Marks & Spencer (M&S) have celebrated more than 700 years of collective service at the store.
The 85-strong team has 38 staff members with more than 10 years experience, amounting to 735 years of service between them.
M&S first opened its Weston store in 1907, and has been in its current building, in High Street, since 1954.
The store’s longest serving employee, Marilyn Turrell, started working for M&S almost 40 years ago.
The 71-year-old is now a part-time customer assistant working in the foodhall, and she helps dozens of customers every week.
You may also want to watch:
Marilyn said: “I’ve experienced a lot of change while working at M&S, from dressing our mannequins in mini skirts, oversized jackets, and flared trousers in the 1980s, to trying the latest treats in the foodhall – my favourite of recent years has been prosecco-flavoured crisps.
“I don’t think you would recognise the store from 40 years ago, there have been so many changes in stock monitoring, training and how customers like to shop.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 5 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 8 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 Customers urged to support local pubs, restaurants and cafes to boost hospitality sector
“I still see some of the same regular customers from when I first started working here and it’s great seeing them still shopping in Weston High Street, as many stores have been and gone, but M&S has stayed.”
Store manager, Stacey Williams, said: “We’re delighted to celebrate the incredible team here at M&S Weston, especially staff like Marilyn who have been a part of this store for so many years.
“We hope to continue the great work we do for the community and cannot thank our loyal customers enough for their support.”
“We have played an active role in fundraising in the last seven decades, raising thousands of pounds for charities including Vision, which supports partially-sighted people in Weston and is our chosen charity of the year for 2017 and 2018.”
Marilyn added: “The celebration was the perfect opportunity to share my memories of working in the store from decades gone by with some colleagues who weren’t even born when I first started here.
“It’s been wonderful to celebrate our long-service milestones together as we all pull together to make the store great.
“Hopefully M&S will still be here for years to come.”