‘Shocked and surprised’ mum scoops £500 jeweller voucher in Mercury’s Five Gold Rings competition
- Credit: Archant
A Weston-super-Mare woman walked away with a ‘perfect Christmas present’ after becoming the second winner in the Mercury’s Five Gold Rings competition.
Denise England, of Woodside Avenue, was the lucky recipient of a £500 voucher for top-quality jeweller Caboodle, based in Meadow Street, on Thursday.
Hundreds of shoppers entered the competition – which is being run in conjunction with Caboodle and Weston Business Improvement District – and Denise was stunned to learn her entry was drawn from the hat.
She told the Mercury: “It’s really exciting, I’m shocked and surprised but it’s lovely. What a perfect Christmas present.
“I entered on a whim and I never expected to get the phone call.”
Denise was enjoying the late-night shopping event in Weston town centre with her daughters Anna and Jess, and she hinted they – along with their other sister Erica – will be the beneficiaries of the win.
Denise added: “I would imagine the majority of it will be spent on them. Anna wants a ring, Jess wants a watch and I’m sure Erica will pick something out.
- 1 See Monster viewing platform to open next week
- 2 Pictures show police deal with man on rooftops in Weston
- 3 More than 20 people fined for discarding fags and off-lead dogs
- 4 Consultation on resident parking zones launched to reduce traffic in Weston
- 5 Man jailed for savage attack on three women at Weston pub
- 6 Police appeal after hit-and-run in Weston
- 7 Person dies after incident at Weston's Marine Lake
- 8 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 9 Petition launched to halt planned bus cuts in North Somerset
- 10 Councillors hit back at proposed bus cuts in North Somerset
“I’m so happy, it’s absolutely brilliant.”
Caboodle owner Steve Finch was ‘delighted’ with the result.
He said: “It seems there was a really good response this week, and the prize has gone to some really lovely people this week.
“A mum in town with her daughters, shopping locally – that’s the winners we want.”
Those who have not been lucky enough to win yet need not fret; prizes worth a whopping £1,500 are still to be given away before Christmas.
All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning a £500 Caboodle voucher is visit the late-night shopping events on Thursday and December 21, locate the Mercury stand and enter the free competition.
Mr Finch encouraged Westonians to support the town’s economy.
He said: “It’s really important to support your local community and we’ve got great shops here in Weston.
“If we don’t support the local and independent shops they will go, so Weston will become a faceless high street like a lot of the country is becoming. It’s really important to find individual bits that you won’t see being sold everywhere and support your local businesses.”