Weston’s next mayor confirmed
- Credit: Archant
The new mayor of Weston-super-Mare has been announced.
Weston Town Council elected Martin Williams to take over the reigns from May until 2020, while Hillside ward Councillor Mark Canniford will act as his deputy.
Cllr Williams was serving as deputy during the past year and will be presented with the chains of office after elections are held on May 2.
He replaces Mike Lyall as mayor, who is not seeking re-election after more than eight years on the town council.
He said: “It has been an exciting time but after four years on North Somerset Council and eight here, it is time to call it a day.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank all councillors for their hard work and dedication over the past 12 months on improving Weston and to Cllr Williams for assisting me. I wish him well.”
Cllr Canniford added: “I am happy to take on this role.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 3 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 4 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 5 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 6 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 7 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 8 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 9 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 10 Village's community shop to relocate
“I have been a councillor since 2003 and look forward to this new challenge.”