Weston’s next mayor confirmed
- Credit: Archant
The new mayor of Weston-super-Mare has been announced.
Weston Town Council elected Martin Williams to take over the reigns from May until 2020, while Hillside ward Councillor Mark Canniford will act as his deputy.
Cllr Williams was serving as deputy during the past year and will be presented with the chains of office after elections are held on May 2.
He replaces Mike Lyall as mayor, who is not seeking re-election after more than eight years on the town council.
He said: “It has been an exciting time but after four years on North Somerset Council and eight here, it is time to call it a day.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank all councillors for their hard work and dedication over the past 12 months on improving Weston and to Cllr Williams for assisting me. I wish him well.”
Cllr Canniford added: “I am happy to take on this role.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 6 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 7 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 8 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 9 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 10 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
“I have been a councillor since 2003 and look forward to this new challenge.”