Weston’s next mayor confirmed
- Credit: Archant
The new mayor of Weston-super-Mare has been announced.
Weston Town Council elected Martin Williams to take over the reigns from May until 2020, while Hillside ward Councillor Mark Canniford will act as his deputy.
Cllr Williams was serving as deputy during the past year and will be presented with the chains of office after elections are held on May 2.
He replaces Mike Lyall as mayor, who is not seeking re-election after more than eight years on the town council.
He said: “It has been an exciting time but after four years on North Somerset Council and eight here, it is time to call it a day.
“I would like to thank all councillors for their hard work and dedication over the past 12 months on improving Weston and to Cllr Williams for assisting me. I wish him well.”
Cllr Canniford added: “I am happy to take on this role.
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 4 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 7 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Kewstoke plans massive series of events for Jubilee bank holiday
- 10 Rat-infested house used for drug dealing boarded up
“I have been a councillor since 2003 and look forward to this new challenge.”