Blue plaque dedicated to Dr Fox
PUBLISHED: 14:00 16 November 2018
A blue plaque honouring Dr Fox has been unveiled on his original bath house on Knightstone Island.
Forward-thinking psychiatrist Edward Long Fox dedicated his career to the moral and humane treatment of people with mental health issues.
Between 1828 and 1833 he built a new medicinal bath house alongside three lodging houses on Knightstone Island.
The spa was open to everyone – from the upper classes to people with mental health problems.
Descendants of Dr Fox attended the unveiling and were delighted to see him commemorated.
Dr Fox’s Tearoom stands alongside his original bath house and Weston Hospital’s psychiatric unit is named after him.
The blue plaque scheme has been organised by Weston Town Council, with sponsorship from Weston Civic Society, to honour prominent people in the town’s history.
Paulo Radmilovic and Henry Butt were the first two beneficiaries of the town council’s plaque scheme.