Weston author publishes latest book
- Credit: Archant
A Weston-sper-Mare historian has published a book.
John Crockford-Hawley, who also represents the Liberal Democrats on North Somerset Council has written Weston's Heart: The Emmanuel Story to coincide with Heritage Open Days, the restoration of a landmark tower and creation of Church Square.
The book is a detailed guide of the 173-year-old Emmanuel Church, in Weston's Oxford Street.
As well as describing the architecture, John highlights several stylistic treasures including a magnificent marble pulpit designed by Harry Hems, a famous sculptor who also carved the six muse above the doorway of Weston's former library, and a marble font inspired by the work of Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen in Copenhagen Cathedral.
The Great War's mosaic memorial by London artist George Hunt, stained glass and 4,000 pipe organ also feature.
You may also want to watch:
Emmanuel has seen more change than any other Weston parish, especially in the Carlton Street area where tightly-knit housing gave way to the post-war modernity of Dolphin Square.
With more than 40 illustrations, the book will interest those who enjoy discovering Weston's past.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Village enjoys returning horticultural show
- 9 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
The book is on sale at Emmanuel Church and Weston Museum.