Town centre bank to close
- Credit: Google
Weston's TSB branch will shut its doors next year after the bank confirmed a mass closure.
In total, 70 branches across the country will go next year April and June following an announcement in September that 164 branches would soon be shut.
The Government created a High Street Task Force in 2019 to revitalise touch centres by working with high street experts - one of whom called the damage left by the decision to close 70 TSB banks 'irreversible'.
Dr Jackie Mulligan said: "This news is yet another hammer blow to the UK high street, which is already reeling after nearly two years of pain.
“The shift online is irreversible, but so, too, is the damage that a bank leaving a high street can cause for the shops that surround it.
“Local high street shops need their local communities more than ever and the gradual retreat of banks, which bring all-important footfall, poses another existential threat.”
The Weston closure is scheduled for June 23 of next year.
- 1 Burglars target 24 properties in North Somerset area
- 2 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask
- 3 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 4 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 5 Court rules that Baytree School expansion can go ahead
- 6 Fire crews tackle chimney blaze
- 7 'There's a snake in my sofa!': RSPCA's funniest calls of 2021 revealed
- 8 First Bus announces major changes to bus services
- 9 Police seize up to £500k worth of cannabis at Weston property
- 10 Tributes paid to 'caring, loving and funny' 17-year-old who died in collision
TSB has been approached for comment but did not reply at the time of publication.